The Christmas countdown is officially on and if you’re like me and
follow have a mild obsession with social media, you’ve already started seeing the gift guide posts. And while I always appreciate a little shopping inspiration, the pressure to spend big bucks on a ton of “stuff” is more overwhelming than ever between the posts, tweets, hashtags and sales alerts. Everywhere you turn, the message is spend and spend big.
Have I mentioned that I LOVE shopping? < hi my name is Kathryn…
But what I LOVE even more is shopping local. There are a ton of amazingly talented local companies and artisans in my backyard and I so much prefer supporting them to spending my moola on mass-produced, cookie cutter products. It’s pretty awesome to know where your “things” come from and even cooler to know who poured their blood, sweat and tears into designing and creating them.
So with that in mind and since I’m on a little personal shopping hiatus (ahem)…
I’ve been on my best behaviour all year and because I know you’re super busy right now, I’ve put together a little wish list of some local goodies that I would be so happy to find under my tree on Christmas morning. Oh, and I threw in something for Dolly, because, well, she hasn’t learned to write yet.
P.S. Watch out for the moose head when you get down the chimney.
So, all kidding aside, while these are things that I would love to receive, I’m really sharing them with you so that you can surprise someone on your nice list with something unique that was thoughtfully designed and crafted by a local maker.
- Forest & Waves Deep Forest Blanket – Because who the heck wouldn’t want to snuggle up in front of the fire under this bad boy?
- Elate Clean Cosmetics Eye Colour Trio in Sage – A clean, vegan and cruelty free neutral eye shadow palette. Because I prefer not to put chemicals on my eyelids.
- Woodlot Cascadia Candle – Made from clean-burning, petroleum-free coconut wax, Woodlot candles smell like how wearing a new pair of cozy jammies while sitting in front of a fireplace feels. I received the Original scent last year and despite it being burnt down to essentially nothing, I just can’t let it go.
- Neu Skin Botanicals Wild Mint & Lime Whipped Shea Body Butter – Because this is the whippiest, most luxurious body butter. EVER. And your skin will love you. And because I prefer not to put chemicals on my body either. I’ve had a chance to speak to the owner, Erika, at a few markets and she is super lovely and took the time to chat with me despite the market madness < meeting the artisan = very cool.
- Granted Roaming Moose Sweater – Hand knit in Vancouver with 100% pure new wool from free range sheep, there’s something about Granted sweaters that remind me of being a kid. My mom knit a TON of sweaters for my brother and I (which I’m sad to say that I no longer have), so I think they just bring back memories. And this one has a moose and mountains on it. And it would keep me warm when I feed the goats and ducks or put mulch in the garden < you know, because I’m so farm-y like that.
- Union Wood Company Vintage Army Canvas Dog Bed – Because Princess Dolly needs a new throne and this one is bad ass. It’s made from out-of-service US Military pup tents by Union Wood Company in Vancouver. They specialize in designing and manufacturing custom reclaimed furniture with antique wood and other raw materials. And they host cool workshops, like spoon making < for real.
Thanks for stopping by and happy shopping! Oh, and please share your own local favs.
Also, just a note – I am in no way affiliated with any of the companies I mentioned; I just really love what they make.